Where can I get cheap art supplies?
Crafting Creatively on a Budget: Affordable Art Supplies for Every Artist
Art knows no bounds, and creativity shouldn't be limited by budget constraints. Whether you're an experienced artist or just starting your creative journey, there's a plethora of affordable arts and crafts items waiting to be explored. In this blog, we'll delve into a treasure trove of inexpensive art supplies that can ignite your imagination without burning a hole in your pocket. Let's start with the arts & crafts options:
- Construction Paper: Versatile and vibrant, construction paper comes in a variety of colours and is perfect for origami, paper sculptures, and collages.
- Cardstock: Ideal for greeting cards, scrapbooking, and DIY invitations, cardstock is sturdy and comes in assorted colours and textures.
- Newsprint: Often overlooked, newsprint is inexpensive and great for sketching, doodling, and preliminary drawings.
Drawing and Sketching:
- Pencils: Graphite pencils are essential for sketching and shading. Opt for packs that include various hardness levels (HB, 2B, 4B, 6B) for versatility.
- Charcoal: Charcoal sticks or pencils add depth and drama to sketches and are affordable alternatives to graphite.
- Sketchpads: Look for budget-friendly sketchpads with acid-free paper in various sizes to suit your needs.
- Acrylic Paints: Acrylics are economical and versatile, suitable for beginners and experienced artists alike. Invest in basic colours and mix your own shades.
- Watercolour Paints: Watercolours are affordable and easy to clean up. Explore different techniques such as wet-on-wet and dry brushing.
- Paintbrushes: While quality brushes can be expensive, budget-friendly options are available. Look for synthetic bristles for acrylics and natural bristles for watercolours.
- Glue and Adhesives: A variety of adhesives such as glue sticks, craft glue, and double-sided tape are essential for any crafter.
- Scissors: Invest in a pair of sharp, durable scissors for precise cutting and crafting.
- Rulers and Measuring Tools: Accurate measurements are crucial in crafting. A basic ruler or measuring tape will suffice for most projects.
DIY Decor and Embellishments:
- Buttons, Beads, and Sequins: These small embellishments can add texture and interest to a wide range of projects, from jewellery making to fabric crafts.
- Ribbons and Fabric Scraps: Explore your local fabric store for remnants and scraps that can be repurposed into bows, flowers, and other decorative elements.
- Recyclables: Don't underestimate the power of everyday items like bottle caps, cardboard tubes, and egg cartons. With a little imagination, they can be transformed into works of art.
- Free Online Tutorials: Websites like YouTube and Pinterest offer a wealth of free tutorials and inspiration for artists of all skill levels.
- Digital Art Apps: Explore free or low-cost digital art apps that allow you to create digital illustrations and designs using your smartphone or tablet.
How can I save money on my art supplies?
1. Shop out of season. As soon as Spring starts, with the weather changing and flowers blooming, this kicks off arts and crafts season which goes through to the autumn. If you want to pick up some arts and crafts bargains you should shop in Winter, especially after Christmas where stockists are looking to move stock that they have had for a while.
2. Hobbycraft the arts & crafts chain always has end of season offers and in season offers. This coupled with Hobbycraft voucher codes that are available all year around means there's plenty of bargains available.
3. liquidation.store the online liquidation store has weekly flash sales of a range of products including arts & crafts with the likes of popular brand Reeves. With up to 75% off, you have to be quick to bag yourself the bargains.
4. Affordable Art Fairs - even though such fairs are mostly for artwork, you'll find that many fairs also sell art & crafts items for those inspired by the artworks available.
Creativity knows no boundaries, and with the right tools and inspiration, anyone can unleash their artistic potential. By exploring affordable arts and crafts items, you can embark on a creative journey without breaking the bank. Remember, the most valuable asset in any artistic endeavour is your imagination. So, roll up your sleeves, gather your supplies, and let your creativity soar!